Syria Daily: Regime and Allies Try to Push Back ISIS Counter-Attack in East

Claimed image of pro-Assad forces in Deir ez-Zor Province in eastern Syria

LATEST


The Assad regime’s military and foreign allies are trying to push back an Islamic State counter-attack in eastern Syria.

On Thursday ISIS exposed the fragility of the pro-Assad offensive, even with Russian air support, that has moved into Deir ez-Zor Province and broken the three-year Islamic State siege of Deir ez-Zor city and a nearby military airbase. Attacking on three fronts, ISIS fighters took a series of towns and villages along the Euphrates River south of Deir ez-Zor city. Perhaps more importantly, they seized gas and oil fields and moved back into eastern Homs Province, threatening the town of Sukhna.

See Syria Daily, Sept 29: Regime Faces Attacks from ISIS, Rebels

The regime military initially refused to admit losses, even as pro-Assad outlets acknowledged the ISIS assaults, occurring on the same day that its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi issued his first audio statement in almost a year. However, on Friday regime ally Hezbollah effectively did so as it claimed that the road between Deir ez-Zor city and Palmyra in central Syria had been retaken.

“The Syrian army and its allies completely secured the Deir al-Zor-Palmyra highway after foiling the intense attack,” a Hezbollah media unit said. “The highway has become passable for traffic in both directions to and from Deir ez-Zor.”

“A commander in the military alliance” — likely to be from Hezbollah — told Reuters earlier on Friday that the road was being used only when absolutely necessary, and confirmed that pro-Assad forces were fighting to recover lost ground, including the town of al-Shula on the highway.

The commander said at least 10 Hezbollah fighters had been killed.

The Islamic State said on Friday that more than 50 pro-Assad troops were slain.

A leading analyst of the situation in eastern Syria summarizes:


At Least 28 Killed in Latest Russian-Regime Attacks on Idlib Province

At least 28 civilians have been slain in overnight airstrikes by Russian and regime warplanes on Idlib Province in northwest Syria.

Local sources said four children were among the dead in the town of Amanaz near the Turkish border. Twelve other people died in Harem, 20 km (12.5 miles) northwest of Idlib city.

Russia and the Assad regime’s air force renwed attacks on the province on September 19, even though Russia had declared the area a “de-escalation zone” earlier this month. They used the pretexts of attacks by rebel factions and the jihadists of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham on neighboring northern Hama Province on that day.

In the past 11 days, more than 200 people have been killed; hospitals, civil defense centers, and power stations have been targeted; and camps for displaced people have been struck.

See Syria Daily, September 28: More than 150 Killed in Russian-Regime Bombing of Idlib

Related Posts

Scott Lucas is Professor of International Politics at the University of Birmingham and editor-in-chief of EA WorldView. He is a specialist in US and British foreign policy and international relations, especially the Middle East and Iran. Formerly he worked as a journalist in the US, writing for newspapers including the Guardian and The Independent and was an essayist for The New Statesman before he founded EA WorldView in November 2008.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here