At EA Worldview, we value the benefit of civilised, engaged discussion and debate about the areas we cover. We also want readers to be able to discuss these issues with each other and bring in news and opinions.
For that to happen, we moderate our comment space and remove comments that violate our policy.
Please think of the comments you make as the equivalent of a face-to-face contribution to a discussion at a conference or forum. In such a venue, delegates or participants would not verbally insult or attack each other.As editors, we are not obliged to post a comment just because you post it. Because we are a very limited staff and want/need to concentrate on content, we do not have time to explain each time why a comment was removed or edited.
Reasons why comments may be deleted include:
- Spam — including comments that are just a link to your blog without adding to the discussion.
- Ad hominem attacks or racist, sexist, homophobic, or misogynist language.
- Personal insults, threats, or advocacy of violence against anyone including other posters or EA staff.
- Comparisons to the Nazis. These are rarely justified or accurate and are usually insulting. Please don’t do this!
- Generalizations about large groups of people e.g. “All Israelis are X”, “Muslims always do Y”. This is a form of racism and will not be tolerated.
- Excessive length. Do learn to love the line break, so we don’t have to parse an undifferentiated wall of text. Please do not post very, very long comments that are effectively blog posts, or multiple comments that do not add to the discussion.
- If you have a lot to say, why not start a blog? If you do, please share the link with us!