- Syria & Iraq Audio Analysis: Getting Realistic About the Islamic State’s Threat
- Iran Daily: Tehran Responds to Islamic State’s Advance — “We Are Backing Iraq With All Our Might”
- Syria Daily: Has the Islamic State “Slaughtered 100s” in Palmyra?
- South Sudan Analysis: Humanitarian Crisis and War With “No End in Sight”
- Syria Feature: How Saudi Arabia Stepped Up Aid for Rebel Offensives That Changed the War
- Syria Feature: Hezbollah’s Nasrallah Calls for “Popular Mobilization” for an “Existential Battle”
Syria 1st-Hand: Freed Prisoners Speak About Islamic State of Iraq’s Torture & Executions
- "They executed prisoners right in front of our eyes"
- One of those killed "was a 15-year-old, only this tall"
- "We were saved at the last minute
- they were preparing their grenades"
Earlier this week, a group of prisoners freed from an Islamic State of Iraq and as-Sham jail appeared on video to talk of their experiences.
They made us pray with our hands tied. They said you are Ahfad Satan [Grandsons of the Devil] and not Ahfad al Rasul [the insurgent brigade Grandsons of the Prophet].
They executed prisoners right in front of our eyes.
They tortured [a prisoner] to admit he’s an infidel. On the 5th day he said yes. So they killed him.”
Two Kurds were tortured and accused of being members of the [Kurdish insurgency] PKK. They never confessed…. One of them was shot right in front of us; they put a pistol to his head and shot him. The guy couldn’t even speak Arabic.
They took a 15-year-old boy, and accused him of being a shabbih [pro-Assad militiaman]. They pulled out his fingernails, and got him to finally confess to raping three women. [He was] a 15-year-old, only this tall.
[A prisoner] said he was wounded in his hand. So they electrocuted his hand with a cattle prod.
Five minutes before we were freed, they had us lined in a cave and were about to execute us all.
We were saved at the last minute; they were preparing their grenades.