Pakistan’s military head Gen. Asim Muni with Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Tehran, May 23, 2026
EA on Monocle Radio: Will Iran’s Proposal End Trump’s War?
US-Israel Wars, Day 86: A 9-Point “Final Draft” For A Settlement With Iran?
UPDATE 0606 GMT:
Iran has executed another detainee.
The Mizan outlet of Iran’s judiciary said the victim was hanged for sending data about Iran’s defense industry to “the enemy”.
Tehran, alongside China as the world’s largest per capita executioner, has stepped up the killings during the US-Israel War.
UPDATE 0551 GMT:
Israel has destroyed a regional facility of Lebanon’s civil defense in Nabatieh in the south of the country.
Lebanon’s Directorate General of Civil Defense said the building had collapsed and a large number of vehicles and equipment were damaged by a direct hit from an Israeli airstrike.
There were no reports of casualties. Personnel had been moved to another location before the attack.
ORIGINAL ENTRY: Iran and the Trump camp are nearing a “framework agreement” to end the US-Israel War, but there is uncertainty over the details.
After a day of intense discussions in both Tehran and Washington, Donald Trump declared that the deal “has been largely negotiated”.
His proclamation followed calls with the mediator Pakistan, Israel, Turkey, and — perhaps most importantly — the Gulf States. He said a “Memorandum of Understanding” will be announced shortly, asserting that the Strait of Hormuz will be opened as part of the deal.
But through their Fars outlet, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards immediately pushed back Trump’s declaration about the waterway, controlled by Tehran soon after the launch of the US-Israel War on February 28.
They said Iran’s revised proposal, sent to the US via Pakistan, maintained its control over the Strait.
If a possible agreement is reached, the Strait of Hormuz will still be under Iran’s management. Although Iran has agreed to allow the number of passing ships to return to the level before the war, this does not at all mean ‘free passage’ to the pre-war situation.
The management of the Strait, determining the route, time, manner of passage, and issuing permits, will remain exclusively under the control and discretion of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Therefore, Trump’s claim in this regard is incomplete and does not correspond to reality.
Iranian officials said the proposal continues to focus on the Strait and the removal of the US blockade on Iranian ports; the lifting of sanctions and also reparations to Tehran for war damage; and an end to fighting on all fronts, which would include Israel’s attacks on Lebanon.
A US official acknowledged the end of the blockade, as Iran removes mines from the Strait and transit of ships resumes, and a partial lifting of sanctions. They said it would be a boon to Iran’s economy, but would give significant relief to the global oil market.
Iran’s nuclear program would only be discussed in a second stage. There was no mention — either from Tehran or Trump’s post — of the US demand that Iran move all its enriched uranium out of the country. American officials confirmed that the Iranian proposal did not settle the issue, but maintained that a general statement of Iran’s commitment was critical to the deal.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei added a jab at the Trump camp’s failure to defeat the Iranian regime:
In the Roman mind, Rome was the undisputed center of the world. Yet the Iranians shattered that illusion; when Marcus Julius Philippus (Philip the Arab) marched east against Persia, the campaign did not result in Roman victory — it ended in a peace established on Sasanian terms:… pic.twitter.com/hLSqAUzb7p
— Esmaeil Baqaei (@IRIMFA_SPOX) May 23, 2026
The Next Steps?
A “regional official with direct knowledge” of the mediation said the deal includes an official declaration of the war’s end with a 60-day period for negotiations on the Strait, the US blockade, and the Iranian nuclear program.
The possible breakthrough followed four days of talks in Tehran between Pakistan’s mediators, military head Gen. Asim Munir and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, and Iranian officials such as Foreign Minisgter Abbas Araghchi.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif flattered Trump while saying Islamabad hopes to host a second round of talks between the US and Iran “very soon”.
I congratulate President Donald Trump on his extraordinary efforts to pursue peace and for holding a very useful and productive telephone call earlier today, with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkiye, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan and Pakistan. Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir…
— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) May 24, 2026
An Israeli official said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in his call with Trump, expressed his concern that the proposal would end Israel’s attacks on Lebanon. A US official confirmed Netanyahu’s remarks about the ceasefire and other aspects of the framework, but said the Prime Minister did so respectfully and with deference.
The American official added:
If Hezbollah behaves, Israel will behave. Bibi [Netanyahu] has his domestic considerations, but Trump has the interests of the US and the global economy to think about.
An Israeli official said on Sunday that “the emerging deal is bad”. They declared that the framework shows Iran can weaponize the Strait of Hormuz in a way that is no less effective than possession of a nuclear weapon.