Donald Trump speaks to the press aboard Air Force One, May 15, 2026 (Evan Vucci/Reuters)
EA on WION: Israel Attacks Southern Lebanon Despite “Ceasefire”
UPDATES: US-Israel Wars, Day 81 — Alleged Israel-Lebanon Ceasefire Extended By 45 Days
UPDATE 0640 GMT:
A US military official says Iran has used the past month’s ceasefire to reposition ballistic missile launchers.
The official said Iran has worked since April 8 to “dig out scores of bombed ballistic missile sites, move mobile missile launchers, and, despite significant losses, adjust its tactics for any resumption of strikes”.
The US had bombed the portals of sites with underground missiles, collapsing and burying but not destroying them.
The US military official said Iranian commanders, possibly with Russian help, studied the flight patterns of American fighter jets and bombers to counter the strikes. They warned that the downing of a F-15E jet last month and the groundfire that struck an F-35 revealed that American flight tactics had become too predictable.
ORIGINAL ENTRY:
Iran has challenged Donald Trump with its latest proposal to end the US-Israel War.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry confirmed on Monday that the regime sent a revised proposal, via Pakistan, to the Trump Administration. The Americans had rejected Tehran’s document “in its entirety” last week.
Iran has proposed discussions of the Strait of Hormuz, reparations and the lifting of sanctions, and a long-term ceasefire in the first stage. The Iranian nuclear programme would be considered in the second stage.
The Ministry did not give details of revisions. However, a “source close to the negotiations” said the Trump camp has proposed a temporary waiver of sanctions on Iran’s oil in return for a deal reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Another Iranian official claimed the Administration is showing flexibility on allowing Iran to maintain limited peaceful nuclear activities. The program would be supervised by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
Without referring to the new proposal, Donald Trump declared on social media that he had postponed renewed American strikes so talks continue.
Trump asserted that he had been asked by the leaders of Qatar, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia to suspend “our planned Military attack [on Iran], which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place”.
At a White House event, Trump spoke of a “very positive development”. He claimed a deal was imminent that would leave Iran without nuclear weapons, which Tehran has never possessed.
“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy,” Trump said.
Trump Administration U-Turns — Again — Over Russian Oil
Unsettled by Iran’s control of the Strait of Hormuz and high global oil prices, the Administration U-turned yet again on sanctions of Russian maritime oil supplies.
After Saturday’s lapse of a sanctions waiver for countries importing Moscow’s oil, first instituted in mid-March, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced another 30-day extension on Monday afternoon.
“This general license will help stabilize the physical crude market and ensure oil reaches the most energy-vulnerable countries,” Bessent said.
The Secretary had told the Associated Press last month that no further extension was planned.
With the postponement of US military action and the sanctions waiver, the Brent crude oil price fell almost 2% today to $91.14 per barrel. It was just over $60 per barrel when the US-Israel Wars were launched on February 28.
The average price of a gallon of regular unleaded gas in the US is $4.52 per gallon, compared to $2.98 at the start of the wars.