Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif (File)
Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has continued Iran’s defiant rhetoric against US pressure, saying the Islamic Republic will see the end of Donald Trump.
On a tour to gather international support amid American military moves and sanctions, Zarif responded to last week’s tweet by Trump, “If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran.”
Asked by a reporter about the remarks, Zarif said they reflected Trump’s real attitude and exposed the deception of his claims that the administration cared about the Iranian people.
He continued, “Iran has been around for thousands of years and will continue to stand. A country that has newly arrived on the block has no right to talk about Iran like that.”
Zarif jabbed that the label “terrorist”, applied by the US on Iranian individuals and entities such as the Revolutionary Guards, is only befitting of Trump.
A divided Trump Administration has pulled back from a direct military challenge to Iran, after a carrier strike force was deployed to the Persian Gulf and additional bombers were stationed in Qatar.
However, the Administration has continued high-profile steps to display US strength and capabilities. On Thursday, Trump ordered an increase of 1,500 troops in the region — counteracting his previous declarations for withdrawal — and yesterday he declared a “national emergency” to bypass Congress and sell $8.1 billion of arms to Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Jordan.
Revolutionary Guards spokesman Brig. Gen. Ramezan Sharif said Friday:
With hype and propaganda, the Americans are attempting to stay relevant in public opinion. [But] sending some aircraft carrier from one geographical location to another and the talk of moving forces from one place to another are nothing to drive our nation back.