- Iran Interview: Obama Defends Nuclear Talks But “Gaps Are Still Significant”
- Israel-Palestine Daily: Israeli Cabinet Set to Approve “Jewish State” Bills
- Iran Analysis: New York Times Turns to Scare-Mongering About “Covert Weapon” as Deadline Nears for Nuclear Talks
- Iran Daily: Kerry Says “Serious Gaps” in Nuclear Talks, But Zarif Looks to “Agreement”
- Syria Daily: Is US Talking to Turkey About Assad’s Removal?
- Israel-Palestine Feature: Human Rights Watch Challenges Israeli Demolition of “Terrorist” Homes
Iraq in Images: Islamic State of Iraq Celebrates Mass Execution of Shia Detainees
An account supporting the Islamic State of Iraq and as-Sham has posted photographs of what appears to be the mass execution of detainees after insurgents took cities in northern Iraq this week.
A Twitter account linked to ISIS claimed on Friday that the group had executed 1,700 Shia prisoners and pardoned 2,500 Sunni detainees after moving into Mosul on Tuesday.
The photographs are the first visual support of the claim. They are among other images of the ISIS offensive, celebrations, and the roundup of prisoners.
Iraq’s top military spokesman, General Qassim al-Moussawi, confirmed the authenticity of the photos. He said the killings took place in Salaheddin Province, whose capital is Tikrit and that an examination of the images by military experts showed that about 170 soldiers were shot to death.
Warning — Graphic: