Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi (File)
Unsettled by European failure to confirm an economic link bypassing US sanctions, Iran has again threatened to withdraw from the 2015 nuclear deal with the 5+1 Powers (US, UK, France, Germany, China, and Russia).
Foreign Minister Bahram Qassemi told Russia Today on Wednesday that if Western states do not fulfill their commitments under the deal, Iran will reconsider its position.
On Monday, the European Union postponed the launch of the Special Purpose Vehicle, for non-dollar trade in oil and other commodities and goods.
An EU diplomat said Spain objected to an article about Europe’s talks with Tehran over the Iranian role in Yemen’s civil war. Madrid has not been represented in the meetings, which included Germany, France, UK, and Italy.
However, the wider reason may have been ongoing European concerns about retaliatory US sanctions.
The Trump Administration withdrew from the nuclear deal in May and imposed comprehensive sanctions on Iran from November 5, threatening any country that continued business with Tehran.
Since September, when EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini and Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif agreed on the SPV, the Europeans have struggled to find a country to host the arrangement.
Last week, the head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, Ali Akbar Salehi, said, “Before it is too late, Europeans, in particular, should fulfill what they have promised beforehand; otherwise, I am afraid that the future developments will not be conducive.”
In Bulgaria on Wednesday, Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi echoed the warning that the nuclear deal is in danger amid US sanctions.
He said Tehran expects the EU to take “practical actions”.