The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency holds talks on Sunday with Iran’s officials about the July 2015 nuclear deal, as Donald Trump denounces the agreement and the US threatens more sanctions.
Yukiya Amano “will focus on the IAEA’s verification and monitoring of Iran’s implementation” of the 2015 accord, the international agency said. Iranian State media said Amano will meet with Ali Akbar Salehi, the head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, and other senior figures.
The IAEA has repeatedly certified Iranian compliance with the terms of the agreement with the 5+1 Powers (US, UK, France, Germany, China, and Russia), in which Tehran suspended production of 20% enriched uranium and sent all stocks outside the country. Amano has said that the accord subjects Tehran to the world’s toughest nuclear inspection regime and that his inspectors have so far encountered no obstacles.
Trump had reluctantly issued certifications twice since he took office in January, but on 13 October — weeks after a hostile speech to the UN General Assembly in which he derided the deal as an “embarrassment” — he de-certified Iranian compliance. Senior advisors kept Trump from announcing withdrawal, but the US put new sanctions on Iranian entities, including the Revolutionary Guards. Congress now has until mid-December to decide on whether to reimpose even wider restrictions.
The other 5+1 Powers and the European Powers have emphasized their support of the deal and their findings of Iranian adherence. With the Rouhani Government seeking to detach other countries from Washington, Iranian media has headlined European concerns over Trump’s behavior. Press TV’s lead story this morning is “Europe Bracing for ‘Major Disruption’ in Ties with Trump’s US after Iran Decision”.