Human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh against a backdrop of protests in Iran (IranWire)
Iran Protests: How Many People Did The Regime Kill?
UPDATE, FEB 4:
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty posts details of more than 100 victims among the thousands of Iranians killed by the regime during the recent nationwide protests.
(1/4) Thousands of Iranians were killed during the violent crackdown on anti-establishment protests, with the majority of deaths reported on January 8 and 9. The killings have plunged the country into national mourning. https://t.co/8k9ZlB5425 pic.twitter.com/rzfDFi9QvR
— Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (@RFERL) February 1, 2026
ORIGINAL ENTRY, FEB 2: Human rights lawyer and political prisoner Nasrin Sotoudeh has been persecuted by Iran’s regime since the mass protests after the disputed 2009 Presidential elections. She was initially arrested in September 2010 and condemned to 11 years in prison. In June 2018, she was re-arrested and given a total of 38 years behind bars, later reduced to 10 years. She was released on bail in November 2023.
IranWire speaks with Sotoudeh about the regime’s deadly repression of the recent nationwide protests over economic conditions and political and social rights.
What is the atmosphere inside Iran after several days of a total internet blackout and the violent suppression of protests?
If I were to describe it in one sentence, I would say it is an atmosphere of awe and disbelief.
When people meet, they ask each other, “Is it really possible for such a crime to happen on such a massive scale?”
This is happening while people’s lives are already under pressure from multiple destructive forces—crippling inflation, raids, arrests, constant surveillance, and a national currency that is losing value by the day.
All of this exists, but the widespread killings and the images and videos of the dead — of Kahrizak [a morgue near Tehran] covered in black body bags — have created a deep sense of shock and psychological trauma across society.
People experienced a complete internet blackout and only later saw these images. On a personal level, how did you react to what you saw?
The first message conveyed by these events was one of limitless audacity, an audacity that first plunged an entire nation into silence so that the crime could be carried out in darkness.
Then came the desecration of the bodies. They piled corpses on top of one another and told families, “Go and find your children in this vast desert.”
I have personally received reports that families were pressured to declare their killed loved ones as Basij [State paramilitary] members.
In some cases, security forces tracked who the deceased had been with during protests to identify and trap others. They followed these leads into hospitals to hunt for the wounded.
I know many doctors who have been arrested, interrogated, or prosecuted simply for fulfilling their professional duty — treating the injured and then allowing them to leave without confiscating their identity documents for tracking purposes.
None of us can remain silent in the face of this.
State media claims life inside Iran is continuing normally and that public spaces remain busy. How do you respond to this narrative?
The idea that people can simply stop their daily lives entirely is unrealistic. A parent with a small child, a university student, or a school-aged child still worries about education, even when the future looks bleak. To create a sense of normalcy, it is natural for them to go to a park or a public place.
But wherever we go, the shadow of what we have seen does not leave us.
In one video, the camera moves for nearly twelve minutes over ground covered in bodies.
These are not images we will forget. In Kahrizak, black body bags are dragged across the ground while blood leaks beneath them. In the streets, blood flowed alongside water in the gutters. This is not something that disappears from memory.
As I have said before, we are condemned to live in a tunnel of death — one in which any one of us can become prey at any moment.
The possibility of war now looms over Iran. How do people inside the country perceive this?
In international law, there is the concept of humanitarian intervention when human rights are systematically violated. In the case of Iraq in 2000, the intervention followed a Security Council process.
In Iran’s case, such stages have not been pursued through the Security Council.
Now, it appears that the decision may rest with the US President — currently Mr. Trump — acting unilaterally.
At the beginning of the protests, he said, “You go to the streets. We are with you,” but that support did not materialize.
Humanitarian intervention should be collective. Any meaningful action under Chapter VII of the UN Charter has been blocked by vetoes from China and Russia.
Even so, the US could have attempted to build a broader international consensus, but that has not happened.
What we are witnessing now is not the power of law, but the law of power, as UN Secretary General António Guterres has warned.
As for public sentiment inside Iran, many people are waiting for this strike. Many who have been driven to the brink see it as their last hope.
When a society feels completely powerless against tyranny, it begins to look outward.
What concerns human rights activists most at this moment?
Our greatest concern is that these crimes will continue in different forms. We are deeply worried about the number of detainees currently held in Kahrizak, about rushed trials without due process, about extra-judicial executions, the continued mistreatment of the bodies of the dead, and the harassment of their families.
We formally and unequivocally demand an end to this violence.
Netanyahu rushes to White House to stop Iran deal: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2026/02/09/netanyahu-visits-washington-early-iran-fears/
“Israel demands that any agreement reached includes limitations on Tehran’s ballistic missile programme.”
[Editor’s Note: From the main English-language Iran State outlet Press TV….]
Eyewitness account of the recent unrest in Iran: https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2026/02/07/763663/i-witnessed-rioters-torch-buses-banks-mosques-tehran-saw-millions-rally-against-them
“What I saw next sank my heart. Shards of glass from a bus stop were smashed up, garbage bins had been set on fire with garbage strewn in the middle of the road, men in black with faces covered were blocking the road with whatever they could lay their hands on. Shops were vandalized, poles were taken down, blue and yellow donation boxes for the poor that one sees all over public places in Iran, were rocked to and fro till they fell from their place, ATM screens were smashed everywhere and to top it all off, a bank at the end of the road, whose half shutters were of the kind where one could see the glass doors behind, was broken into skillfully and set on fire. As I reached near the ill-fated bank, which was under a public bridge, I couldn’t help but notice some bizarre scenes below. Some 100-150 people, mostly men, all dressed in black with their faces masked had gathered under the bridge. A few women were there too, all masked. The women were mostly in the middle, going round a bonfire holding hands, singing and chanting in typical Iranian style. What was surprising, though, was that the building of the bank nearby was up in flames and no one seemed to be bothered at all. The rising flames made me think of gas cylinders that might be there in the upper parts of the structure. The nearby grocery shop belonged to Iranian brothers who worked hard from early morning to nearly midnight. Most of the people merely stood there, watching flames devour the structure. Above, on the bridge, a group of bikers, again all black clad with helmets covering their faces, were busy shooting the burning bank and other scenes from their vantage positions, clearly on a mission.”
The armed masked men clad in black described by the PressTV witness are also mentioned by The Financial Times: https://www.ft.com/content/d1848379-0bc0-453a-a748-b02f8ea1b3f0
“There were groups of men in black clothes, agile and quick. They would set one dustbin on fire and then quickly move to the next target…They “look[ed] like commandos. They were definitely organised, but I don’t know who was behind them”.
Who were they?
https://www.iranintl.com/en/202602071487
Well…
https://www.iranintl.com/en/202602071487
https://www.instagram.com/reels/DUYS_FgjD1s/
https://www.instagram.com/reels/DUWYEW6CHOu/
http://www.instagram.com/reels/DTtdoCFiHq8/
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1505689668229554&id=100063656045694&post_id=100063656045694_1505689668229554&rdid=jRvxfQmwslpB2l8W
https://www.instagram.com/reels/DUGIRn6DAGQ/
https://www.instagram.com/reels/DT2nOgkiPBs/
https://www.instagram.com/reels/DUTFuwDitql/
[Editor’s Note: There is no evidence to support Pompeo’s declarations.]
Mike Pompeo admits Washington ‘directly helped’ rioters in Iran: https://borna.news/en/news/3931/mike-pompeo-admits-washington-directly-helped-rioters-in-iran
“In an interview with Israeli Channel 13 on Monday, the interviewer referred to US President Donald Trump’s promises of support for the rioters and suggested that such help never materialized. Pompeo rejected that view, responding, “I do not think so. Help did come … a lot of help. We may not see it all … We may not know about it all, But the United States is actively trying to help [them].”
[Editor’s Note: The grandstanding of Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent aside, the collapse of the Iranian currency has been years in the making. The rial’s fall has been from a combination of US sanctions, mismanagement of the economy, and the effects of last June’s 12-day war by Israel.]
We know that the U.S Government engineered the cause of the initial protests by manipulating the currency: https://nationaltoday.com/us/dc/washington/news/2026/02/07/us-treasury-chief-admits-engineered-dollar-shortage-in-iran/
“During a Senate hearing, the US Treasury Secretary stated: “What we have done is create a dollar shortage in the country. It came to a swift and, I would say, grand culmination in December, when one of the largest banks in Iran went under.””
Hassan Fallah: Shot by a Sniper, Buried 550 Kilometers Away Far from the City He Lived
https://iranwire.com/en/features/148797-hassan-fallah-shot-by-a-sniper-buried-550-kilometers-away-far-from-the-city-he-lived/
“In the issued death certificate, the cause of death was announced as “impact from hard or sharp objects,” and the place of death was registered as Karaj on January 8, 2026. However, in his burial permit, it is stated that the cause of death was “a gunshot from a firearm.”
How Iran plans to go to war with the US – and win: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2026/02/05/how-iran-plans-to-go-to-war-with-us-and-win/
“Iran has revealed its vision for war with the United States, detailing how it would overcome the world’s most powerful military and severely disrupt the global economy. In a detailed battle plan published by Tasnim, the news agency affiliated to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Iran’s leadership envisages strikes on US bases, new fronts opened up by proxy allies, cyber warfare and the paralysis of the global oil trade. Middle Eastern geography would win out against American technology, Iran insists.”
” detailing how it would overcome the world’s most powerful military and severely disrupt the global economy.”
Oh good!
AT least this time you are prepared when your ass gets handed to you. No crying….
Good articles on Time, and damning for the regime.
https://time.com/7362807/iran-protests-regime-uprising-series/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=030226
Young People Debate Democracy or Normalcy in a Tehran Coffee Shop
https://iranwire.com/en/features/148702-young-people-debate-democracy-or-normalcy-in-a-tehran-coffee-shop/
Iranian Baha’i Parents: Our Daughter’s Life is in Danger!
https://iranwire.com/en/news/148675-iranian-bahai-parents-our-daughters-life-is-in-danger/
Ismail Ganji-Goli: Killed by 60 Pellets While Rescuing a Young Girl
https://iranwire.com/en/features/148685-ismail-ganji-goli-killed-by-60-pellets-while-rescuing-a-young-girl/
President Trump’s Letter To A Bereaved Iranian Family: We Will Never Forget and Forgive
https://iranwire.com/en/features/148642-president-trumps-letter-to-a-bereaved-iranian-family-we-will-never-forget-and-forgive/
Government updates list of names killed in unrest: https://files.dolat.ir/Plist.pdf
A website (https://hamdard.dolat.ir/) asks citizens to provide details of anyone not included in the list. Authorities maintain that the majority of those killed were murdered by rioters and terrorist cells also responsible for extensive destruction to property. Only 690 have definitively been attributed to the security forces.
Peyman Palizdar: Father of Five-Year-Old, Dies After Week in Coma
https://iranwire.com/en/news/148636-peyman-palizdar-father-of-five-year-old-dies-after-week-in-coma/
Mohammad-Javad Hozouri: His Dead Body Returned To His Family Three Days After Arrest
https://iranwire.com/en/news/148625-mohammad-javad-hozouri-his-dead-body-returned-to-his-family-three-days-after-arrest/
Fatemeh Pour-Sadeghi: A Young Teacher Killed by Security Forces in Rasht
https://iranwire.com/en/news/148624-fatemeh-pour-sadeghi-a-young-teacher-killed-by-security-forces-in-rasht/
How Tehran recasts protest killings as ‘holy duty’
https://www.iranintl.com/en/202602020888
[Editor’s Note: Nice try, Varharan. I’m not featuring any garbage from The Grayzone on this zone, particularly this character assassination of one of the best reporters on Iran.]
Iran president orders talks with US as Trump hopeful of deal: https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20260202-iran-president-orders-talks-with-us-as-trump-hopeful-of-deal
It appears regional countries, and the prospect of a regional war, have caused Trump to back down.
“”President Pezeshkian has ordered the opening of talks with the United States,” the news agency Fars reported on Monday, citing an unnamed government source.”
So, fars, the mouth piece of khamenei, says the mr “nobody” has order “……” What happened to khamenei? Is this his newest attempt to dodge the blames?
rat-ali is not gonna survive this, that’s why all stray dogs such as yourself are running overtime….
Behnam Izadi Was Rescuing the Wounded When He Was Shot in the Head
https://iranwire.com/en/news/148569-behnam-izadi-was-rescuing-the-wounded-when-he-was-shot-in-the-head/
Iran protests: Are viral atrocity numbers part of a march to war? https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/iran-protests-are-viral-atrocity-numbers-part-march-war
“When people casually throw around figures like “36,500 killed in 48 hours”, “43,000 dead” or “50,000 murdered since 2 January” in Iran’s recent protests, without providing context or verification, you don’t just get misinformation. You get consequences. These are not neutral statistics, but weapons. They form a deliberate pretext, laundered through sensational headlines, echoed by opportunistic politicians, swallowed whole by outraged audiences, and then deployed to rationalise escalation and bloodshed.”
Manufacturing consent for an attack on Iran: https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2026/1/31/appropriating-the-death-count-manufacturing-consent-for-an-attack-on-iran
“Unverified protest death toll estimates have been widely circulated, preparing public opinion for military intervention and downplaying the genocide in Gaza.”
A reminder that Sotoudeh – despite being sentenced to 38 years imprisonment in total – is on an indefinite medical furlough: https://www.iranhr.net/en/people/5543/
The government has said that 427 security officers/volunteers were killed out of a total of 3,117.