Tehran Prosecutor Abbas Jafari Doulatabadi says 150 protesters, detained during demonstrations across the country in late December and early January, have been indicted.
Dolatabadi said that only four protesters are still in custody.
The prosecutor’s claims have not been corroborated, and activists say many more people are behind bars, seized during or after the protests over political and economic issues.
Tehran MP Alireza Rahimi said last week that, of 5,000 people arrested, 500 are still detained.
MPs have only been granted a short visit to Tehran’s Evin Prison, despite concerns by activists and families that several detainees, who died in custody amid the demonstrations, were beaten. No international observers are allowed in Iranian prisons, with the last visit by a UN human rights official in 2005.
MP Rahimi, who was among the group that were finally allowed into Evin after weeks of requests, wrote on Sunday that the legislators were able to speak to “only a few of the remaining prisoners”. He refuted claims made by authorities that they had a video clip of Sina Ghanbari, whom they said had committed suicide in a prison bathroom.
Last Friday, Tehran Prayer leader Ahmad Khatami said those accused of violence during the protests should face the death penalty. He criticized officials for releasing most of the detainees.