President Hassan Rouhani has repeated that Iran will make a “proper response” to US moves over the July 2015 nuclear deal between the Islamic Republic and the 5+1 Powers.
At a meeting with a Japanese envoy in Tehran on Wednesday, Rouhani said, “Today, after the successful negotiations and the JCPOA’s implementation, we should not allow the deal to be undermined and the parties to infringe on their commitments.”
The President’s comments came a day after a warning from the US Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, that the Trump Administration could leave the “very flawed and very limited agreement” that was “designed to be too big to fail”. She said that, although Donald Trump has twice certified compliance with the deal, Iran must be challenged over its ballistic missile tests and actions throughout the Middle East.
Since the spring, with the US threatening and then adopting additional sanctions on Tehran, Iranian officials have set out the “proportionate response” line. For the first time last month, Rouhani said that, while Iran wanted continued adherence to the nuclear deal, it could step back in the face of US provocation.
The President reiterated yesterday, “Iran will never take the first step in breaching the agreement but would give a proper response to any violation by the other parties.”