Syria Daily: Rebels Say They Downed Regime Jet

2
1811
Photos of wreckage of Su-21 jet fighter which crashed in southeast Syria, August 16, 2017

Regime jet crashes in eastern Suweida Province near Jordanian border


LATEST


Rebels say they shot down an Assad regime MiG-21 jet fighter on Tueesday in southeast Syria.

The regime military confirmed the crash of the jet but did not cite a cause. An “army source” said an investigation had been launched.

Rebels released photos of the injured pilot, named as Major Ali al-Hilwa, with bruises on his face. They also circulated images of the fighter who supposedly shot down the jet and the wreckage.

SYRIA REBEL DOWNED REGIME JET 16-08-17

The jet crashed in eastern Suweida Province, near the Jordanian border. Last week pro-Assad forces took about 30 km (19 miles) along the border, including crossing points, as rebels withdrew.

See Syria Daily, August 11: Pro-Assad Forces Advance in Southeast


Airstrikes “Only 100 Meters” from Camps for Displaced Syrians Near Jordanian Border

Citizen journalists reported a fifth consecutive day of pro-Assad attacks on Tuesday near camps for displaced Syrians near the Jordanian border.

Regime airstrikes have reportedly hit “only 100 meters” from tents in the desert area. About 50 people from the Hadalat camp moved on Tuesday to the poorly-supplied Rukban camp, 120 km (74 miles) to the northeast, as regime warplanes circled above, according to Rukban-based citizen journalist Emad Abu al-Sham.

An estimated 250 people of the 5,000 in Hadalat have fled to Rukban in the past five days, he said.

Many people have been effectively trapped in the Rukban camps, known as “The Berm”, since Jordan closed the border in June 2016, following Islamic State attacks on its security forces. The camps have long suffered from shortages of food, water, and medicine.

See UN: Almost 50,000 Still Stranded Near Jordanian Border

The Hadalat camp is near a former crossing point with Jordan, to the east of border territory taken by pro-Assad forces last week in eastern Suweida Province.


Opposition: We’ll Accept Turkish Military Moving Into Idlib Province

The Syrian opposition’s interim government has said it will accept the movement of the Turkish military into opposition-held Idlib Province in northwest Syria.

The head of the interim government, Jawad Abu Hatab, said:

The people of Idlib resist external invasion by Russia and the United States of America as much as they can, but the Turkish army is a source of security for us, and if its forces come to our region, the people will embrace them without hesitation.

Syria has been faced with the attempts to divide by the dark forces, and these evil forces have turned their attention to Idlib, so Turkey is the most important source of security for us during this process, and any solution without Turkey may deepen the humanitarian crisis in the region.

Rebels took almost all of Idlib Province, including the provincial capital Idlib city, in spring 2016. Russia declared a de-escalation zone in early May — in effect sanctioning a de facto partition — over the province and parts of neighboring Aleppo, Latakia, and Hama Provinces, but the opposition fears that the Assad regime and its allies will persist in attempts to overrun the area.

More than two million Syrians, many of them displaced, live in the province.

Related Posts

2 COMMENTS

  1. This crowning declaration of ‘rebel’ bankruptcy comes just half a week after Tayyipistan placed Idlib under a weapons embargo, following the CIA’s failure on orders of Der TrumpenFührer to retank the Reyhanlı infinite money funnel.

    Par for the course I suppose that these NATO heroes, having crowed for crippling sanctions by all and sundry warmonglerish imperialists against their homeland for years, thus earning negative political support amongst those suffering the effects, instantly fold like wet dishrags when fed the slightest dose of their own prescription and ironically become the best advertisement for the motto that “BDS works!

Leave a Comment